Monday, February 11, 2013

THE muffin


Time to set aside coffin time (meaning couch time) because this chocolate muffin(cupcake?) kills! Okay, not really. It is most likely one of the healthiest chocolate muffins you will eat. Really. Just look at the ingredients before leaving the page. I promise! See, I told you so. I first saw this recipe on another girls site (she deleted it! I wanna give cred.) and thought I would give it a try. I did. After making them I would spend hours between eaten muffins staring at them and looking away dramatically, acting as if I didn't want another. But I always gave in. Because who has ever said greek yogurt, oats and cocoa are bad for you? Until it is proven that they can cause heart attacks, I will feast my heart out on these little suckers. Here are a few not good pictures of them, just to show you how they shouldn't look if you are a pro-baker (or even just a good baker) which I most definitely am not.

There it is. I added a little plop of homemade strawberry jam because I thought it sounded good (fruit and chocolate always goes good together) and because it would add to the V-day festiveness. The rest of this batch is going to go to friends! Then I won't have them weighing on my mind all day. P.S. the jam was great. Do it.
Nutri-Choco V-Day Cupcakes
1 3/4 c old fashion oats
3 egg whites
3/4 c unsweetned cocoa
1 tsp vanilla(if you have some from Mexico use that!)
1/2 c plain greek yogurt (or regular low fat yogurt)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar( or 1 1/2 Tbs vinegar)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 c hot water (I microwave it for 2 min.)
1 c sugar substitute (I just use sugar because I don't like the diet taste-maybe try honey?)
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
Mix it all together in a bowl. I mix dry ingredients first then add liquids. Then put it all in a blender and blend away! Put into cupcake liners. Heat oven to 350 F and cook for about 15 minutes. To check if they are cooked stick a toothpick or knife in and if it comes out clean they are done! Instead of them looking shiny they should look more of a matte brown.
Follow Me on Pinterest