Monday, March 4, 2013

Single-Serving Huevos Rancheros

Ummmmmm, yum. Let me preface this by saying I am not a big fan of eggs. Ever since being forced to eat them when I was younger even though I was gagging (dad!), I have never been a big fan of them. I have grown to like them alright, but I still will only eat them if they're completely cooked. I hate the runny center. That being said, my uncle (the one who was kind enough to let me use the beautiful pictures of his chickens) wrote up a recipe for Single Serving Huevos Rancheros, and I love it. You can cook the egg just as much as you would like, so I cook mine all of the way. But, if you like that sunny yoke spreading its joy all over those fried tortillas, then go for it! Thanks again for sharing, Tio! Hope everyone can enjoy this recipe.

Single-Serving Huevos Rancheros

"In response to I have a recipe for those that like Huevos Rancheros! First, I have to explain that often I do not like the hassle of frying the tortillas separately and then having to break them when I am eating. So, I came up with this method. (Maybe this recipe should be named something other than Huevos Rancheros because it is not the same thing.) Give it a try and suggest a name for it.
You will need: Three eggs, Three corn tortillas already cut up into nickle-size pieces, Salt, 1/2 cup Salsa (homemade red chile sauce is the best)

Heat whatever oil you like to frying temperature. (I absolutely prefer coconut oil, and I have tried them all.)


Fry all the tortilla pieces together until golden brown. Add the salsa and salt to the frying tortillas and simmer for 1 minute. Add the three eggs stir and fry until well-cooked. (If you prefer a runny yolk, separate the yolks beforehand and add only the whites to the tortillas and salsa. Once the whites are cooked, add the yolks and try not to break them. 

 by Guillermo Sanchez."




I made it for my husband and I put Parmesan cheese on it with chuncky salsa verde (uhhhh yum.)


Good stuff!