Thursday, February 25, 2016

Fluffy Buckwheat Pancakes (GF)


Buckwheat. Funny thing is it is not even closely related to wheat. It is a pretty close cousin of rhubarb though! Weird, I know. We love buying bulk grains and then vacuum packing them for storage and later use. We are lucky enough to have a lady that we usually go through to order great organic grains and all sorts of other great power packed foods. Our last order had buckwheat, barley, brown rice, and rolled oats. My Man and I started to do this when we went on a short bout of a GF streak for our oldest girly just to see if it had been effecting her no-fun rashes, but that's a different story(currently none of us are gluten free).We also decided that it would be a great idea to order all sorts of grains, and learn how to actually use them and make good food with them in case an emergency ever did come, so that we didn't have just tons of nasty grains we didn't know how to use.So, we invested in a hand powered grain mill (in case we didn't have electricity), and we also inherited a motorized grain mill from My Man's loverly parents. Then we bought a whole bunch of great grains we were interested in. With that being said, I have tried multiple buckwheat recipes, and this is one of the best. Buckwheat pancakes are hard to be successful with just because they can make kind of dense, not fluffy foods :) ha ha! This is one of the best I have found, and you can find the original at goodnesstoglow.com !

Normally, I would just eat regular pancakes but with a recent health event (I will post on that later), I have been on a pretty strict and LAME diet! Hence, buckwheat and gluten free pancakes this morning :) They sure were delicious!!!Hopefully you will like them too.

Ingredients:
1 L egg
1/2 c buckwheat flour (if you are going to be grinding the grains like we do, I ground 1 cup of the grains and that gave me about 1 1/4 c ground flour)
1/3 c milk of your choice or water
1/2 tsp baking powder
oil of your choice for cooking ( I used coconut)

Whisk egg together with your liquid. Then add in the flour and baking powder and mix until all combined. Heat your pan at medium heat with the oil in it, and drip little bits of batter. Once the bits of batter start to sizzle as they hit the pan, pour the batter into approx. 6 inch circles (we do our pancakes kind of small).

Toppings: We used butter and plain regular yogurt, which we all love (my girls eat that stuff plain!), and then put honey and berries on top. If you don't like that you could always do just butter and syrup, or any flavor of yogurt and add some nuts on too! YUM.

*On the original recipe on goodnesstoglow.com it says that it made about 5-6 pancakes, so I thought I would double it hoping to have some for freezing for later. I doubled the batter and got ten pancakes. So, we did have two left over, but they got eaten throughout the day (by me, of course). So I would triple the recipe or even quadruple it if your are looking for a decent freezer storage of it!
**Buckwheat has a nice nutty flavor, which all of my family loves. So, we were totally fine with this recipe. If you don't like that flavor much but you are still going to be using the buckwheat, consider adding 1/2 tsp. vanilla or some mashed up bananas or apples with a dash of cinnamon and that will probably help out your taste buds!